Sunday, April 26, 2009

Fake basement

So yesterday Camila and I went to Ikea to get some picture lighting for Camila's birthday present. While we were there we stopped in the toy section and bought everything that Dad always wanted when he was a kid. It was fun!

On the way home we started thinking about where we were going to put it all and decided that we had encountered a problem. It was then that we had the marvelous idea of cleaning out the future family room in our basement and making it into a playroom. So, in the tradition of virtually every person in our neighborhood and my in laws, we faked a playroom in our basement.

We got everything that could be ingestable, flammable, pointy, sharp, etc out of the future family room and transferred it to another room with lots of junk in it. We then erected a barrier of enormous proportions (if you are 3 feet tall) so that no child crossings into the danger zone could occur. We swept, vacuumed, laid down rugs and leftover carpet scraps that my in laws were kind enough to give us, and put together all of Isabel's new playing implements.

Isabel loves it, Mommy loves it too as she doesn't always worry about Isabel tipping a lamp on herself, emptying out the lazy-susan, falling off the counter and other nefarious activities in which she has a tendency to engage in. Consequently, Daddy loves it and has possibly clocked more time in the collapsible tunnel than Isabel at this point.

In other news I have been very busy helping Camila build a proper nest(ie. painting, buying baby stuff, twigs, grasses, etc.). Also been spending lots of time programming and building my side business, Pyxlin. In fact, I believe that for the last week or so programming pyxlin has replaced the time that I usually spend drooling, reading and/or playing video games. Interestingly enough, Camila doesn't seem to be any happier that I am spending time doing something productive. Go figure.....


Anyway, what a long post, and boring. Sheesh. I guess I will leave it to Camila to provide some picturesque views of our new fake basement. Goodbye for now.

6 comments:

Winnow D. Asael said...

Wish I was going to be there for the baby's birth but I'll be leaving a couple of days prior. I will have to see her at Christmas. But hope to see you guys and looking forward to seeing little big Isabel!

Helga said...

LOL Mike I love it when you post!!! You are so funny!!! Anyways I have to go check the playroom out :) I'm so sorry I was supposed to call Camila and never did... I've just been so busy with trying to find a job and a house... At least I got the job down... Housing still remains a problem. Hope you guys are having great days and I want to know more about Pyxlin. :) Inteh!

Emily said...

Pictures! I need a visual.

The Murray Files said...

I have been thinking about you guys, wondering how it was going. I remember when I got that close. Oh, sooo grumpy! How much fun to have a playroom. We just did the whole house so we all look like we are living in a bubble.

mccollaum fam said...

Oh how fun! We have been doing our playroom too! I moved all 4 younger kids into the largest room of the house so that the other room could be the playroom because I was sick of cleaning up toys all over the place! We (meaning me and the kids) painted yellow walls and installed beautiful sheer yellow curtains, with tie backs for the two french windows. Then we put up big flower stickers on the walls. A few days ago I bought some shelves to organize everything better, and Peter and I put them together. Then yesterday I went to the market and saw the coolest stickers with grass, flowers and lots of butterflies for only 1 Euro each, so I bought about 15 of them and the kids went to town. I think we have a few too many butterflies, but it's cute!

Clara Schettini said...

parece que vcs tiveram bastante trabalho né...
também quero fotos para ver como está isabel...e camila gravida...
bjus